The Top 5 Underground Ingredients of A Gourmet Chef
So you think you know your way around the kitchen? You have a stash of recipe books from grandma; you’ve memorized your login for Epicurious, and you’ve watched more episodes of “foodie” shows than you would ever care to admit.
But, do you have these 5 underground ingredients in your foodie bag? We interviewed Chef Carlos Valdez, of the award winning restaurant at the Goldmoor Inn in Galena, Illinois, to get the inside scoop on what gourmet restaurant chefs keep in their unpublished pockets.
The top five underground ingredients he uses to wow the particular restaurant patrons of the Goldmoor Inn, are as follows.
- Chiles (numerous varieties) Chiles are so versatile. They are colorful, healthy, and can add so much complex depth to sauces, soups and almost any dish.
- Saffron, some say that the exotic and aromatic fragrance of Saffron can be somewhat intoxicating. There is actually some science to back up this claim. This feel good spice naturally boosts the neurotransmitter serotonin and can help your mood.
- Bison Meat, Bison is an up and coming ingredient for many reasons. It has a rich and hearty flavor but it is also lean, low in cholesterol and high in protein, making it the perfect candidate for health conscious consumers.
- Wild Caught Seafood, why is wild caught seafood so important? Taste!
- Panna Cotta, this simple, yet elegant Italian dish is always a crowd pleaser. It is gluten free and can be easily changed up for summer desserts with seasonal berries and fruits, or in the fall and winter with a cinnamon chocolate sauce.
A good chef knows that ingenuity and creativity are vital to keep seasonal menus and recipes fresh and interesting to their customers. So do not be afraid to mix and match ingredients in the kitchen, even if you would have never considered using them together before.
Who knows, you might just create the next best thing since sliced bread. (with saffron butter.)
Get Free Email Updates
Sign up to stay up to date on the latest articles and tips for a rich,healthy and expanding home and relationship life.
Discover 3 Secrets
to Romance After Kids
When you're busy working on being the best parent possible, it's easy to neglect your adult relationship.